Monday, August 10, 2009

Food


It's official, we're in the 3 weeks 4 day countdown till our big day. 8.30am, Friday 28th August we head off. So at this time, its all about tapering (ie not walking 50 km+ in one hit), it's about maintaining everything ie health, feet, attitude and also it's about not making any changes to anything. Now's not the time to bring out the new shoes/socks/pedicure - what's going on now, will be what's going on on the 28th. Cardinal #1 Sin of Trailwalker - messing with the formula that's been working. Problem is we're bored to bits with our food. On a personal note, last time I dragged out the old faithful cheese and freaking marmite sandwiches, they hardly got touched. OVER THEM! Same for my pretzels, my fruit biscuits, even my Fruit Tingle sugar hit. Boring! And as for fruitcake, not only are Mia and I over the fruitcake, but we reckon all the sugary/floury/sugary stuff in it can't be good for us, or our figures. On our last walk, we started fantasising about chicken, mayo (and maybe a smidge of avocado) sandwiches and were working out which member of our extended support crew could bring out a nice plate of them on the day. We haven't walked with Tracy for a few weeks and she had made a killer batch of a healthy oaty slice thing, so we'll be lining up for that as well. When Katie and I walked 50km a few weeks ago, on the last 10kms, our fantasies were all about an icecream for her and salt and vinegar chips for me. HOWEVER, on the day we can't try anything new. Seriously. So this weekend, we have a 30'ish walk planned, finishing at the Newport Arms to meet our families (ie our support crew), so this is our last real chance for trying some new stuff out. Anyone feel like a chicken/mayo sandwich at 6am?

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, from team 282 - I empathise with your 'sick of this food' view! I've recently tried salt and vinegar rice crackers - SO GOOD! or salted nuts - awesome. See you on the track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen, just packed my food - BORING, maybe my chocolate sultanas will inspire at the 60km mark! Who can eat though, sooooo nervous!!! have a good one!

    ReplyDelete