Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Going Solo - Confronting a demon.






Monday, a long weekend and no offical team walk planned, I decided to head out and do a short stage of the walk - 7.5kms (plus another 3.5 to home) from Davidson to Ararat. Mia and I have done this walk a couple of time before - the first was a reality check of how much longer it takes to run in the bush compared with the road. We'd thought 7.5 km, probably 45 mins or so, but no, 1.5 hours later, we struggled out. In fact Tracy had one of these revelations on our first walk, where she asked how long it was going to take us for that 15kms, we guessed about 3 hours, and Tracy was like "nooooo, we'll be able to do it much quicker than that", 3 hours or so later, she understood where we were coming from. The second time we walked Ararat, we'd done the 10km stage to Davidson (which we'd run most of) followed by the Ararat 7.5km, all in about 30C Sydney summer heat. Mia, bless, was singing and kicking up her heels a km or so from the finish (but then that's just Mia, who calls out "good morning to startled people we meet along our way), whereas I'd sunk into my normal silent brooding self, battling those inner voices "you can't do this...you'll never finish....".
So on this lovely sunny morning, John and the boys dropped me off at the start of the stage at Davidson, I popped on the ipod and happily jogged this stage. Now I know that on the day of the event, as this is the second last stage, with 80+kms already walked, and probably with sore everythings, there is absolutely no hope at all that we'll be jogging this, let alone happily. But for an hour or so, on a sunny Monday morning, I did just that, and showed those demons in my head that I can ignore them.
Stage: Davidson to Ararat (and 3kms along final stage), 10kms, difficulty 2, time 2hours

No comments:

Post a Comment