Monday, June 1, 2009

The Keep On Moving Girls


<


Well as promised I thought I'd add a bit of detail about us as well as some pix to introduce ourselves so you can get to know us and our personal foibles along the way (just like we are doing with each other). I'm going to take the liberty of doing it on everyones behalf because I can, although Tracy who is so much more cleverer at this sort of technical stuff will always have the right of editing, because she knows how, as for Katie and Mia, well sorry girl.

Mia

Mia is a superhuman, super gorgeous mum of 3, Jack 5, Luke 4 and Olivia 2, wife of the very patient and understanding Ben and one of the two in the girls in their thirties. Mia is in Physical Education, teaching for the last 15 years and now lecturing at NSW Uni teaching the Concepts of Physical Fitness and Health. (See my theory is she looks so good in a tracksuit that's why she followed a career here, I may be wrong, but she doesn't look anything like me in her Skins.) Mia is keen to give Oxfam a go and has been inspired to do something crazy in her life so this is it. Mentally it will be challenging and physically exhausting but as a team of women she knows we will pull each other through. Mia also loves a good party and great wine, both of which she now realises might not be on the agenda until September. Sad.

Katie

Katie has been my friend for about a zillion years so I have PLENTY of material about her. I'll keep it short for the moment... Katie works for a health and wellness company in Auckland called Vitality Works which provides health, exercise and wellness services to corporates, this is a massive change for Kate as her background is actually in science (she's a phd), prior to which she was a patent attorney. She's married to the super ultra marathon man Alan (who just ran 89 kms in under 8 hours in South Africa) and has 2 sons, Sam and Joel (6 and 4). Katie has competed in many events most of us would shudder at the thought of such as Coast to Coast, Auckland marathon and climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. She's actually using Oxfam as training for the Auckland marathon in October. Katie is doing Oxfam because she likes to have something to train for/work toward, she's really keen to do something odd with me, her oldest friend (since 5 years old!). Success for Katie will look like getting through the event without breaking down (as individuals and as a team). Like all of us, Katie doesn't really care about the time; it's all about the experience. She want us to finish and say "that was totally awesome", which is her philosophy about lots of things; it's about the process not the prize.

Tracy

Tracy is our gorgeous baby of our team, she has been such a trooper and stepped up to the mark to train with 3 complete strangers and has fitted in like a glove. Tracy is also a super fit, adventure junky super mum. Vic is her very understanding husband and she has a beautiful daughter Evey, who is 18 months old. Tracy works part time at Fairfax managing their MyCareer website and is also creating her own online business. Tracy is doing Oxfam because she is looking for a new adventure and challenge. The 100km challenge is something she's always thought about doing but never really got around to! Now is the time!!! She says she has everything to gain from doing it such as an amazing experience, fitness, raising money for Oxfam, blisters (bring'em on), meeting spirited women who are also willing to give this ago and confidence and achievement.

Me, Lisa


OK, I'm the oldest member of our group at a very matronly 42 years old. There, its out there.

Seriously I'm lucky to have 3 beautiful boys, Smith (3), Rafe (5) and Will (8) and a gorgeous husband John, and I'm lucky to have lived in stunning Sydney for 2.5 years and lucky to have friends as mad as me to want to do this event! For me, doing Oxfam is all about having a real challenge, not just a "can-I-run-10km-without-stopping" kind of challenge but one where it hurts outside and in and I put myself to a test. It's also about my journey with Katie on our very long friendship, Katie has put other very exotic events on hold to do this experience together and I'm grateful to her for prioritising us. Doing any event is a biggie for me to get over my nerves and my apathy, and having Mia and I challenging ourselves together is also another reason to do this - so I guess it's about celebrating new and old friendships (in an extreme way). Goddammit, this is also about a bit of "I'm doing the Oxfam walk" glory - I want to feel proud of me and I want my family and friends to be proud as well. Success for me looks like finishing, with body, friendships and a little dignity still intact. And having such an amazing time that I find something else to challenge myself

So that's us and this is what we look like. I've gone remarkably easy on us, just wait, the time will come when a few beans get spilled...

1 comment:

  1. OK, that's not really us. Just kidding folks, we're more attractive than these girls.

    ReplyDelete